International plastic bag free day – 3rd July 2018!
Plastic bag free day is here – another day dedicated to beat the plastic pollution. This day is to raise awareness on how many bags are being used, and the impact single use plastic bags are having on the environment.
The European Commission, businesses and environmentalists will look at ways on how to tackle the plastic pollution, and provide environmentally friendly alternatives to using the single use carriers bags.
Some ideas are –
- Swat up on all the carrier bag facts and the affects it has on the environment
- Decline the offer of a plastic bag in shops
- Re-use bags or even better use a cotton shopper
- Recycle the bags
- Spread the word to family and friends
Plastic Bag Facts
- It can take between 100-500 years for a plastic bag to disintegrate therefore causing huge waste on landfill sites and oceans
- The average European uses 500 plastic bags per year
- 3.4 million plastic bags are produced each year, this is the equal weight to 2 million cars
What are Keltic Ties doing to #breakfreefromplastic?
Since introducing Eco Ties at the start of 2018 they have been flying off our shelves to many schools across the UK, consequently saving a massive 20,000 plastic bottles from going to landfill sites. In light of today we have took the final step in reducing the plastic from our tie packaging. The plastic sleeve around all ties will swap to a simple piece of card.
We have also started to bring lunch in re-usable bags to save on the plastic bag waste in-house.
As a company we are doing almost everything possible to save on the plastic waste. Other changes we have made are – swapping our paper towels to recyclable paper towels and re-filling our own drinks bottles.